Assignment 07: Final Project Proposal
For your final projects, you will draw upon your personal data collection and the insights gained from your weekly assignments to design and develop a project that critically engages with one or more (or all) of the stages of the quantified self pipeline - track, reflect, act - covered throughout this course.
- It is important that you manage your ambitions by clearly defining your research question, focusing your design concept, and keeping your project scope tight. You final project will be evaluated on how clearly your concept is communicated through your chosen media and your thoughtfulness in considering all the things that you know as well as what you don't. Therefore it is important to take the time to read, write out, sketch, moodboard, and concept your final project proposal.
- Your final project proposal is an opportunity for you to do the necessary initial research to clearly state the question you seek to address and the social phenomenon you're interested to comment on and your planned methods to communicate your idea. Be prepared to convince us about your concept and the methods with which you plan to make that concept tangible.
Background research / Literature review
- It is a conflict between ways of life, beliefs, customs, value systems and not necessarily one between language system.
- Perhaps cases of perfect bilingual and biculturalism are extremely rare, if at all possible.
- In linguistics, code-switching occurs when a speaker alternates between two or more languages, or language varieties, in the context of a single conversation (i.e. dialect).
- Third culture kid (TCK) or third culture individual (TCI) are terms used to refer to children raised in a culture other than their parents' for a significant part of their early development years.
- Soffietti, J. P. (1955). Bilingualism and biculturalism. Journal of Educational Psychology
- Demby, Gene (3 April 2013). "How Code-Switching Explains The World"
- "Localization vs. Internationalization". World Wide Web Consortium
Hypothesis / Definition of question(s)
What are my "code-switching" moments:
- and more?
The outcomes will be built based on Reporter Application data and keyboard input data. Reporter Application was chosen because of its flexibility, while keyboard input was chosen due to its nature of daily usage, auto-tracking, and active multilingualism in computing (specifically in reading and writing).
- Language usage report from beginning of the class to end of the class in web environment
- (optional) create a tool to track language usage
- design the overall service in more detailed version
- look into different ways and make prototypes
Create awareness that individuals are consisted of various sides, which make them interesting and complex. It requires more than a monotonous approach to analyze someone's character.
Sketches / Technical considerations:
- Language usage report: JS along with useful library as d3.js and chart.js
- (optional) Language usage tool
- design: Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite and InVision
- prototype: Python, node.js